A sneak preview of what's in store this week - Galloping Gardener recommends hot summer gardens

Scotney Castle - a moated ruin with wonderful grounds - highly recommended for summer picnics
My galloping has been somewhat curtailed recently due to family commitments, but I'm planning to get back on the road this week and head north towards some of the gardens north of Oxford - weather permitting! Now is the time to enjoy gardens in their blousy summer splendour, as the dahlias begin to bloom, and it's a good reminder that there are still plenty of wonderful gardens to visit at this time of year, even in high summer.
Rodmarton Manor in Gloucestershire - one of the finest Arts and Crafts gardens in Britain
I shall also be reviewing some of the lovely properties I visited during the recent heatwave, including Helmingham Hall in Norfolk (close to both Bressingham Gardens and Wyken Hall, which I've recently added to my garden pages), Broughton Castle and various smaller properties that I've had the chance to see.
Parham House in Sussex is famous for its borders in the four-acre walled garden
I had a really enjoyable day at Parham House (above), with its magnificent four-acre walled garden, earlier this week, which I'll be reviewing in the next few days. And then, of course, there are all the amazing California gardens waiting to be let out of my camera, following the Garden Bloggers Fling in San Francisco. But I plan to save those for later, as there are so many gardens still to visit before the end of summer in England.
Dahlias in bloom at Rousham - one of Monty Don's favourite English gardens
Many of the gardens I've visited in recent years are featured here, so click on the links for more information and in the meantime, happy garden visiting.

Comments