Star-studded footsteps in June - from wilderness to World Gardens

Sussex Prairies - open every week throughout the summer Wednesday through Friday
June has been another thrilling garden-visit month and I've dropped in on 27 English gardens on my travels, including six wonderful new gardens in Herefordshire (to be reviewed in July); two charming Kent cottage gardens  - Smallhythe Place, former home of Ellen Terry and Old Buckhurst, a garden created out of a hilltop wilderness (also for review in July); and finally marvelled at the World Garden, created by Tom Hart-Dyke, modern-day plant hunter who spent six months in captivity in the South American jungle, after a plant-hunting expedition ended in disaster!
Little Malvern Court, Worcestershire (to be reviewed)
I've seen Marilyn Monroe; met John Brookes; and walked in the footsteps of Christopher Lloyd; sat in the garden where Virginia Woolf once sat and taken time to reflect on where to go next. I've encountered extraordinary gardens in Essex that I didn't know existed, including Green Island and Spencers; finally made it to Painswick Rococo in Gloucestershire (waiting for review); and managed to revisit some of my all-time favourites including Vann and Sussex Prairies.
Old Buckhurst, Kent - a charming garden created where there was none (for review in July)
July promises a new round of adventures including Hampton Court Flower Show, which starts next week. It's neither as well-known nor as crowded as Chelsea and I'm looking forward to seeing the show gardens there. I'm also going to Highgrove - Prince Charles' much talked-about garden - for the first time, although I won't be posting pictures because cameras aren't permitted!
The Japanese garden room at Green Island in Essex
Other treats to look forward to next month include more Gloucestershire gardens as I head up there to see what's in bloom; and some first time visits to gardens in the middle of England, including plots in Warwickshire, Staffordshire and, if I get the time, a little further north. Thank you all for visiting and for all your comments, and I hope you'll join me for more gardens in July. And if you'd like ideas on where to visit, you can always check out the UK Garden Visit listings.
Denman's Garden, West Sussex - home of John Brookes

Comments

  1. Hi! It's always a pleasure to drop in at your spot =) It makes me wonder do you have any garden tips for us if we deside to visit Holland on our vacation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a month! Hope you can take some time to enjoy Highgrove since you will not have the use of yoru camera. I have long admired it in The English Garden publication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte, tx u so much for showing all those wonderful gardens.
    I love the different tipes of bench.
    I wanna ask you.. in the first picture, those blue tall flowers, are for real? are a sculpture?


    kiss

    Carola

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carola - the blue flowers are a sculpture. Glad you enjoy all the gardens :-) Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always amazed at how different the gardens are. Although there are similarities, there are always surprising differences. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure do get around! I love the Japanese garden room!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so inspiring to visit other gardens. The ones you show on your blog are without my range. So it is treat to see them. We are a nation of gardeners without a doubt!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment